I made some more progress on the pillows!
After I un-racked the Tumbler pillow quilt, that I finished quilting yesterday, I had to take a deep breath in to cut it into chunks. Let me tell you I was honestly a little nervous! As a quilt, it all looked pretty good! But, I didn't want a quilt - I wanted pillow covers!! So, I forged ahead.
I cut the quilt into 17" squares - the pillows are 16" finished so I figured that would give me enough excess to play with and perhaps bind the pillows instead of just flipping them - I haven't decided yet.
I think these pillows are going to look pretty darn cool! I LOVE it cut up!! I purchased some shot cottons from the same line out of the 50% off bin in the summer so these will become the backings for the pillow coverings. But look at all the left-over pieces - that I didn't like. It seemed like quite a bit of waste to me - an you know how I hate waste like that! These pieces were off the sides and top of the quilt and it was quite a bit of quilted fabric!
Hmmm, what to do with the waste? I cut the side pieces into 17" chunks. The bigger pieces were already in 17" pieces.
I decided to use the quilt as you go technique from Crazy Shortcut Quilts and sew the quilted pieces together using a white sashing! I now have enough for two more pillow covers - woohoo!! I actually like the look of the white, negative space, in with all of the colour. If I had measured first I would have seen that I didn't need to put the middle part in - that will just be cut off anyways; but, hey! Two more pillow cases will be created an a lot less waste!
Although, It kind of looks neat as a whole - but - I don't need more table runners either - I need pillow coverings LOL! Sometimes you just need to think outside the box :-D