I have always loved the Storm at Sea quilt pattern. I love the illusion of curves even though everything has straight edges. It's so visually interesting and has so much movement!
I posted a couple pictures of the beginning of this quilt and since I finally finished it I thought that I would post a picture of the finished quilt - ready to hang!
Ta da! I love the way that it turned out! I love the Kona solids and I love the quilting pattern! I used my Loricles grooved board in Egyptian Eye. I thought that it would give the illusion of waves across the quilt. I quilted it in 40 wt Glide thread, top and bobbin, in Turquoise. Love that Glide thread!
This quilt was all die cut using the pattern that comes with die number 55319 the half square 1 1/2" finished triangle. I made a change to the pattern though and next time I make a Storm at Sea quilt I would make one more change. I added on one die to the quilt. The 3" Finished Quarter Square Triangle die - either for the Studio or the Go! By adding in this die I eliminated pricing together 2 HSTs to make a QST unit, and, therefore bulk in the seams - yey! There is a lot, and I mean a lot of point to point action going on here and getting rid of seam bulk is pretty major! Next time I would use my 3.5" strip die to make the diamonds instead of pricing them with 2 triangle in a square units. Again - less bulk!
I love to find ways to simplify patterns so that I have less work. Sometimes less is more!
I used a batik wind-back that I had a meter of for the backing. I love how it picks up the colours in the top of the quilt!
Now onto the next store sample!!