Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Final Step in the QAL!

Well here it is!  The final step in the Scrappy Christmas QAL - better late than never and at least I got it done in January and not June!

I know that several of you have already gone ahead and put the borders on your quilt; but for those of you that haven't here it is!

if you need to catch up you can find the previous installments here.

 

Cut 7 strips at 2" by the width of fabric (WOF) remove the selvages and piece together short ends to short ends to create one long strip.  I chose a gold print for my first border because who doesn't love a little gold in their Christmas quilts!?
 
Add these strips first to the two long side borders press towards the first border; and then add to the top and bottom of the quilt.  Press.
 
At this point my quilt measures 63" x 74"
 
Measure your quilt top to make sure that your measurements correspond with mine and if you need more or less then cut for that amount ;-)
 
For my outer borders I like to cut on the lengthwise grain or parallel to the selvage to have long cuts.  I needed 76" (as my largest measurement once I had added on my side borders) in length by 7" total so I used 2 meters of fabric and cut the strips from that.  While it was still all positioned I cut 4 binding strips 2.25" by the 80" of length so that I will be ready to go after this is all quilted.
 
If you would like to cut your borders on the cross-wise grain you would still need 2 meters for your borders and binding - I really like the strength and stability that cutting lengthwise gives me.

Add your borders to the sides first - measuring YOUR quilt top just in case your measurements are different.
 
i chose a poinsettia print from my stash that I purchased a few years ago and didn't have a destination for it - it's always nice to use up fabrics like that!

After adding the borders my quilt top measures 76" x 87" - a nice smaller bed size.  If you would like your quilt to be larger simply add on additional borders or wider borders until you achieve the desired size.

I hope that you have enjoyed this and used up some scraps!  And I hope that you will share a picture with me!  If you have any questions please feel free to let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

No comments:

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...