Sunday, November 27, 2011

What Would You Do?

Remember this quilt?

 

This is my current, in process leaders and enders quilt.  Well, I have been piecing the first border, leaders and enders style, and I was about ready to put it on.   I decided to hang up the quilt center and see what I thought about it from a few steps back.  In the first picture I liked what I saw - at first.  Then, I started really looking at my quilt.  I DON'T like how I have used an even number of blocks across the top and sides - this means that I have a 16-patch on the top left and an X-block top right.  Hmmm,  maybe it will be ok.

Let's audition the first border.


YUCK!!!

Nope, I don't like how that X-block looks in the corner!  I do like how the 16-patch looks as a corner though.  So, now what to do??  I think that if this bothers me this much now it will always bother me in the future.  Since I like this quilt top a lot so far, and I have spent a lot of time on it, I think that the only thing to do, for me, is try to make this more visually appealing.

As I see it I have two options.
  1. Rip off one side border and add it to the bottom of the quilt - yuck frog stitching :-(
  2. Start piecing more X-Blocks to add to one side and the bottom of the quilt to make the quilt an 11 x 11 block setting instead of 10 x 10.
Sigh - what would you do?

The first thing I did was check to see if I had any more of the off-white background fabric - yes I do!  And I think I might have just enough!  So, since the thought of ripping all of that off the side (and potentially damaging all the piecing) just makes me cringe, I got out my tools and I am about to start cutting up more background squares.


Just when I thought I was done with the center - here I am cutting for more!  Luckily I have some bits left and I always have lots of 16-patch blocks sitting around.  I'm going to look at this as being half-done the work I need to do LOL!!

If you would like to see how I do my leaders and enders and/or how to construct the X-block you can click on the videos tab at the top and check out my YouTube videos.
So what would you have done?  Ripped or cut more?

9 comments:

Char said...

cut!!! Rip is a dirty word only to be used when there is no other alternative LOVE the quilt!!

Impera Magna said...

You selected the exact option I would have chosen! It's a bummer you have to make more blocks but I do believe you'll be happier in the end. Good luck!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

I agree. Even though I didn't notice it immediately...you would...every time you see it. So it is worth the extra effort to make it something you are happy with.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I would be making more blocks as to make sure there are 16 patch blocks in the corners too. I have this thing against lop sided quilts. You will be happy you took the time now to fix it, just like you said.

sosarahsew said...

I'd be more likely to add. I think ultimately a larger quilt is more desireable that one that is smaller (or one that has toooooo many borders to make up the lost rows). It won't take long.

Suzy said...

I'm allergic to the frog stitch, so I would have done the same as you...add more. :o)

susan said...

That is really tough, when your mind set is on borders it is hard to rip back but that is what I would do. What is frog stitch by the way?

Anonymous said...

Wow it is gorgeous! I would definitely cut more, I love BIG quilts!! And yes I agree it definitely needs an odd number of blocks in each row.

sew.darn.quilt said...

I agree that the extra blocks will make the quilt balanced. It's going to be a stunner that's for sure.

Carolyn

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...