Tuesday, March 21, 2006

scrap quilts and sweatshirt jacket

This is a picture of my scrap sweat shirt jacket with the corner of my queen sized scrap Christmas quilt. You can see my short directions on the sweat shirt jacket here. They were both hanging in our local quilt guild show.This is as close as I will get to a postage stamp quilt :) This method of scrap quilting is really quick and easy and best of all it uses up a lot of little pieces that you might be tempted to throw away.

The border treatment for the Christmas quilt was taken from the book “The Border Workbook” by Janet Kime. It was great for a scrap quilt because it uses up lots of small strips.

The pieces were cut at 2” square. Then, instead of using a small scrap of fabric as a lead, or thread saver (whatever you call them) to start and end your piecing with, I put through two 2” squares. At the end of the days sewing I pressed them all to one side. When I had lots of two patches I made 4-patches. Then 8-patches and finally 16-patches. At this point I squared up the blocks to 6 ½” square. Then I put them together. The key to this system is to be consistent with the way that you press. Would you believe that in that queen size Christmas quilt almost every seam butted properly.


If you have any questions please feel free to post them here and I will try to answer them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Katrina, Do you have the info on how to construct the sweatshirt jacket that you can share with us. Love all of your helpful hints - Thanks . Wendy

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...