Wednesday, March 02, 2011

SIngle Girl Quilt Using the Accuquilt Go!

Are you as intrigued by the Single Girl Quilt pattern as I am?  I just love the simplicity of the shapes in this pattern; but, it has a lot of hand cutting and template work - yuck!  It's such a fresh approach to the Double Wedding Ring basic form though and I love that!

Ever since I got my Accuquilt Go! cutter I am constantly thinking about how I can modify patterns to use my die cutter.

I won the double wedding ring Go! dies in SewCalGal's give-away and started to think about how I could use the dies to simplify the process of creating the single ring.  After playing a bit I realized that each quarter arch was just a quarter of the outer arches of the double wedding ring!





So I pulled out my die and used three of the pieced ring shapes to create a quarter ring.  I loved how the little dog ears made piecing the arch so easy!  This was much easier than cutting all those templates out and cutting this by hand.
 Next I used the inside part to cut a paper arch so I could make myself a paper template.  Yes, yes I know; but, I didn't have much of a choice if I wanted to try this experiment ;-)
Then I used the inner melon to get the arch for the inner arch.  This was very easy to do though.
 Next came transferring the arches to paper.  This took a bit of time to do but that was ok.  I added 1/2" to the outer arch to account for seam allowance.

Note:  Next time I would add more on to give me more squaring up allowance.  Meaning I would simply add more to the outer flat edges not to the rounded parts.
 Cut out the paper templates and make sure that they fit.  Yep, and there is extra added on the inner ring.
 I then used the paper templates to mark and cut out the fabric.  This part I didn't like LOL!  I tried rotary cutting this and that didn't work so I ended up using scissors.

I'm not sure, but, I think if you had the Drunkard's Path die set you might be able to use that instead of cutting these parts by hand.  As I don't have this die I couldn't test it sorry!
I pieced the outer parts to the ring and guess what?  It worked!  If my cuts had been smoother the rings would have been smoother too but not bad for my first attempt ;-)  You can make rings using the Accuquilt Go! cutter but the inner parts would have to be cut the usual template way.  That is unless Accuquilt comes out with a template set for this.  Wouldn't that be great??!  It could even just be an add on to the Double Wedding Ring die set to make the single ring.

I had a lot of fun this afternoon working out this pattern and making it fit the dies.  I'm not going to finish this quilt (in these colours at least); but, I may consider piecing one out of scraps.  I think that would be very pretty!

So what do you think?  Good idea?  Would you make one like this?  Feel free to leave me a comment - I love to hear from you all!

In other news Pleasant Home is having a great give-away of and Accuquilt Baby Go!  So hop on over and enter!

simply square button



Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

It looks great and I like the colors! I wouldn't attempt to make this without a Accuquilt.....which I don't have. You did a wonderful job.

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

That looks awesome! I'm scared to make that quilt - worried it's bad karma for a married woman. lol I'll make one for my daughter maybe.

Hey - I got the lapel stick yesterday! Thank you so much! GAG that you had to spend ten bucks to mail it!? I'm sorry about that.

Good thinking on the cutter for the single girl! : ) SMART

Becky said...

You rock for showing that. I have that die and wondered if it would work. Now I know and I don't have to wonder anymore. Yet another project to add to my list.

susan said...

Katrina, is that the large Go or the baby Go? I can just see the freedom here. I am such a fussy person when it comes to the cutting step, I can just see the opportunity. It is nice to see someone really use their gadgets to their fullest and then some!

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...