Sunday, May 01, 2011

Big Gulp!

Yesterday I took a big gulp and plunged in head first! 

I needed to cut 336 1.5" squares of red fabric, for the quilt I have been cutting, and I really really (emphasis on really) did NOT want to do that with a rotary cutter.  I mean I could have I just didn't want to.  I knew that I could cut those strips and then squares on my Go! cutter using the 1.5" strip die that I've been using.  But, honestly, here's my confession, I hadn't cut yardage yet this way!  So I thought I would give it a try.

I cut my strips and then loaded them onto the cutter folded so that they fit across the cutter.  Yep, I loaded all my strips at once - might as well jump in head first right?

Then I took a big gulp of air and put the fabric through the cutter.
 

I took off the mat and wowzers!  Look at all of the perfect 1.5" squares!!!  I got all my 336 squares in seconds.  I measured them and they are totally perfect!!  So fast, so easy, so perfect! *insert happy dance here!*


I stacked up my little beauties in  my plastic container and sat back to admire them - aren't they pretty??  Sorry for the gushing but I am just so happy with my Go! cutter and the 1.5" strip die.  I honestly didn't think that it would:
a) be able to cut that many squares at the same time and
b) cut them so perfectly!


I am one happy quilter!  
The quilt that I am making from the book More Elm Creek Quilts by Jennifer Chiaverini is now completely cut out and ready to start being pieced.  I am very excited since I have wanted to make this quilt for a few years now - but I really, really didn't want to cut those small pieces.  Again, it's not that I can't cut them with a rotary cutter but that I didn't want to.  Laziness?  Maybe, but, I am ok with that ;-)  I think I prefer to call it efficiency LOL!

I am now ready to start sewing the blocks together and truly - I am so excited to see this scrap quilt come together - I don't think I'll be able to save it for a leaders and enders project.

I love to read your comments so if you'd like to leave one here or on my Facebook page you are more than welcome!

So what is everyone working on today?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I''m working on a Prayer shawl quilt today! I think with all those little red squares that looks like a leader and ender quilt project!

Impera Magna said...

I am all for "efficiency"... what fun cutting all those squares so quickly!

Today, I'm sewing the binding on a quilt and hope to start sewing it down here shortly...

Lynn W. said...

I'm on a mission to use up blocks I have swapped over the years. Sometimes to get them to size I have to make a few more and I have been working on those, too. I also got 6 more NICU tops done and will finish those when I decide on the backing.

I enjoyed seeing the process of cutting all those little squares at one time.

susan said...

I love to read your blogs so I saw how fast you cut those red squares and thought "how am I going to cut out the "Oh my gosh quilt out with out a Go. I am going to love watching this project of yours come together.

Jackie said...

Oh, that GO does look amazing, i am still debating... love when you talk about it.

Unknown said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog. Always nice to see how other yahoo group members use their accuquilt go. I have made several quilts with the blocks displayed on their site. I was interested in your sewing machine and wondered how long the neck is on your machine. The quilt you are quilting is just lovely.
Sissy in az.
Visit my blog:http://beachgirl-sewingfromtheheart.blogspot.com/

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...