Sunday, September 17, 2006

Fair Entries

This is one of the quilts that I am going to enter into the fair this coming weekend. We gave it to two of our friends for their wedding present late last fall and they were nice enough to send it back to me for the fair.

Thanks Guys!

the pattern is from a McCalls magazine from I think last August. Sorry I can't even look that up since I gave the magazine away :)

The quilt involoved a lot of template work which I hadn't done before so I learned how to do that

I should also mention that this was quilted on a regular domestic sewing machine and not on any type of a long-arm. I don't have any type of long-arm system but I can see something like that in the futer maybe :)

Here is a close-up of one of the split Lemoyne Star blocks. I had never done one of those before and I have never had so many points coming together in one spot before. I really enjoyed the challenge though and found that I don't actually mind doing in-set peices.
The Lemoyne stars and the Ohio stars are both quilted in gold metallic thread in an interlocking swirl pattern.

I hope that you enjoy the close-ups of the machine quilting. I quilted the background in navy blue rayon thread. I tried to emulate the style of Caryl Bryer Fallert who is an amzing machine quilter. You can see her web site here. It is really worth a look. She does her own hand-dyed fabrics and uses them in her amazing art quits.



This is a picture of the back of the quilt so that you can see the machine quilting a little bit better. I really enjoyed quilting this quilt. While I was quilting it I felt so free and relaxed and I really enjoyed the whole process. This type of unmarked free-form quilting is very nice to do.

You really need to click on the pictures to see the quilting at all :(





Here is the border treatment. It is quilted in a paisley feather type pattern and echoed once to give it dimension.


I hope that you can see it :)

This piece will be entered in the category "Article of Machine Quilting" since there isn't a category for machine quilted quilts under 72" x 90". It's too bad but I think that it deserves to be entered.

What do you guys think? Again, if you have any questions or comments please feel free to post them here and I will try to answer them :)

1 comment:

Joyce said...

It looks great from here. Did you use a longarm machine or your regular one? I don't have a longarm and haven't been able to do anything fancy on a large quilt yet. It's pretty daunting dealing with all that fabric under the machine.

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...