Sunday, March 25, 2007

UFO #13 - the pumpkin quilt is Finished!

Hi all;
I finished my UFo #13!! This is the quilt that I pieced with my youngest son age 6. He picked all the fabric himself. As a matter of fact every time we would go into a quilt store and he would see a fabric with orange on it or pumpkins he would want a piece of it. LOL! A fabric addict already :)

I did the cutting on the quilt of course and we sewed this together with Gavin sitting on my lap. I had the 1/4" foot on with the guide and the finger guard for extra protection. It was really fun to do.

I decided to machine quilt the quilt myself since I thought that it would be just too hard to navigate the bulk of the quilt and the bulk of a 6 year old LOL!

When I asked Gavin how he wanted his quilt quilted he said that he wanted pumpkins in each block. So, I thought about it for a bit then I decided how I could do them continuous and without marking and this is what I came up with. I started on one side and made the body of the pumpkin then went back up and did the detail of the stem and the vines at the top. He is very happy with it :)
I was a little perplexed with how to do the pumpkin borders; but, Friday night I had a dream of how to make the pumpkins looked like like they were stacked on top of each other in the vertical borders and side by side in the horizontal. The trick was that I still wanted them to be continuous. I don't know if you can really see it but it is pretty neat looking.

I stayed up last night to finish sewing the binding on so that I could lay it over his bed while he was sleeping. This morning he got up and pulled it off his bed, along with all his pumpkin toys, and came downstairs. He has been playing with his quilt, and his pumpkin toys, for 2 hours so far with no signs of stopping :) This is the best thank you that I think that I have ever received from anyone. It just goes to show you how special a quilt can be to a little child and how much they love such a simple gift of a warm and cozy quilt. I think that this quilt will be loved way past being worn out.

GRS asked if my son got the pumpkin hooked rug as well since they seem to go together and the answer is yes! I hung it in his room on a wrought iron hanger. He has always thought that it was for him since the day that I brought the kit home so hey!

Joyce said that she couldn't really see the quilting so I uploaded a different picture. Hopefully you will be able to see the border quilting a bit better in this one :)

4 comments:

Joyce said...

The pumpkins you quilted look wonderful. I couldn't really see how you did the ones on the border. No wonder he loves it.

Anonymous said...

Does your son also get the hooked pumpkin to go with it? They seem like a set to me. Very nice job on both. Hooked pieces and quilts seem to be made for each other. Like your blog. GRS

Anonymous said...

that's a fabulous quilt and the quilting is stunning

love and hugs gina xxx

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

This quilt is wonderful! I like pumpkins pretty much, too. Funny how some things are like that -- we'd hardly think of making a quilt about zucchini, for example. Or beets.

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...