Monday, December 05, 2011

In the Dye Pot!

I spent a portion of yesterday doing this - dying up some wool for the background of the rug that I want to start soon.  it is a pattern by Gene Shepherd called Pickering Oak.


There's the wool all simmering on the stove.  Unlike cotton fabric we have to heat wool on the stove to get it to absorb the dyes.  Imagine my whole house smelling like wet mittens over the heater.  At least it was nice out and I could open up the windows for a bit to air everything out. 

It wasn't going as dark as I wanted so I added more black dye.  Uh oh it went a little too dark I think! 

 

Well at least there is the other pot that I didn't add too much dye to.  Whew!

 

I guess I'll just have to wait until it all dries before I make up my mind.  Wool always looks so much darker when it is wet.

Hey not bad at all!!  It is a little bit darker and more blue than I wanted but I really like it!  I think I'll keep it as is and go with it.  Since the leaves will have so much orange in them this will be a nice compliment to the orange.

Dying is always such an adventure for me since I am so new to it - I really like to dye wool but I would just have a fit if someone asked me to replicate a recipe!  I know I know - I should start taking notes for my own sake at least.
Ok now that that is finished I have to dye for the leaves - more adventures!

1 comment:

SewCalGal said...

I like it too! I look forward to seeing what you create with it. I'm sure it will look great.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...