Sunday, January 06, 2013

Christmas Rag Quilting in January

Hi all!

If you've been following my blog and facebook page for the last little bit you'll know that I have been working on a rag quilt or two or three lately.  It started off as all one rag quilt - I bought fabric and came home and started to play with it.  

Once I started cutting and embroidering the fabrics I realized that i really didn't like the blues and the red together so I separated them out.  And then I decided that I wanted to play some more.

 

So, I came up with this design inspired by a rag quilt I saw on a friend's facebook page.  Since I had the dies to make this I decided to go and buy more fabric and play with this design.

What do you think?  Me? I love the way that this turned out!  What began as a winter rag quilt is now completely a Christmas rag quilt but I love it!  Too bad it's after Christmas but I'm going to leave this out and use it for a while before I put it away.

 

I love the way that the green sashing grounds all those reds.  And I love the way that it looks next to all the snow.

 

Here is a close-up of the embroidery/quilting.  I embroidered the snowflake design on each of the large squares, for added interest, and just a simple X in the sashing and cornerstones.  I think that the embroidery really adds a lot of interest for me.

Remember all that batting I had cut?  It's long gone with more cut to complete the quilts.  I thought that stack would last me a while - but - wow - it went fast!

So, now I have all my blue winter prints set aside and ready to be made into another rag quilt.  Hmm maybe I should get to that today!

3 comments:

Bloomer's Buzzings said...

I originally wanted you to leave the log cabin print in for interest, but I like your final outcome. I, too, love the way the green & red sashing ties it all together. Waiting to see what you do with the cabins.....

Wonky Girl said...

Beautiful quilt. Great idea for use of the colors ;-)

Lore S said...

I love it! Glad you got rid of the blues. It looks incredible. I also love the way you embroidered it. Seems like a huge amount of work. You should be really proud of it!

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...