Saturday, December 21, 2013

Snowy Scrap Quilting

Hi all!

I hope that you are all enjoying this fine holiday Christmas season!  I don't know about where you are but we have been inundated with snow, snow and more snow these past couple of weeks.  And, although it's pretty, it makes me want to hibernate LOL!

So, today I decided to pull out my 2.5" strip scrap bin and do a bit of scrap quilting with those strips that have been slowly accumulating since I started processing them back in 2011.  I have done a lot of things with these strips but I thought that I would make a serious impact on that bin.

I remembered Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Trip Around the World pattern on her site and thought that it would be perfect for those longer strips.

As you all know, I love to die-cut, so, I decided to use my cutter instead of rotary cutting if I could.  The strips were already cut out to 2.5" width so I just needed to cut them to 16" lengths - unfortunately I don't have a die for that :-(

 

Next, I sewed them into sets.  I really only paid attention to value and not colour like Bonnie recommends. 

 

Next I pressed and sewed into tubes and then placed them on my 2.5" strip die.  If you're going to try this remember that you instantly have 3 layers of fabric.  I chose to cut mine like this so that I could line them up easier.

 

Run them through the cutter and voila!  Perfect strip sets :-)  I am not going to give you the directions to the pattern you'll have to hop on over to Bonnie's site for it - it is a great way to use up scraps!

Now to get back to sewing! 

Happy Quilting!

3 comments:

Barbara Arcement said...

I love scrappy round the world quilts. I checked out the site you mentioned. Her quilts are beautiful. If you check some of my older posts you can see the ones I made.
I enjoyed reading through your blog
hugs
beebee

Kathy S. said...

Yep, I cut them like that too! I also cut my 4-patches for Bonnie's weekly clue like that today. So quick and precise! Love it. Happy holidays!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

you are going right to town there!! Have fun

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...