Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Signature Quilt - A Commision

Hi All!

Happy first day of August!  For the past few months I have been working, on and off, on this commission quilt.  It is a family signature quilt made from blocks that were cut out and signed at a family reunion.  The owner chose the fabrics and colours and it was my job to put them together ;-)


Some of the blocks were signed horizontally and most were signed vertically using a sharpie marker.  Since there wasn't an even number of coloured blocks I had to improvise with the setting so that no two like colours were together.  This took some manipulating!  I finally decided that there was no way to make even vertical rows so I settled for horizontal rows that were all the same length.  Given the task of placing 90 blocks this was pretty big!!

Each block was originally cut with scissors so each block had to be squared up first and then sashed in Kona black to give some negative space.  I added a pieced border around the outside so that more signatures could be added at this summer's reunion - there is no way that another 90 blocks could be added to this quilt - it is already a LARGE queen size!


I have to say that I love all the signatures and sayings and I think that this will make a wonderful keep-sake for the family to cherish through out the years.  And, to me, this is the ultimate memory quilt :-D  

What do you think?

1 comment:

Gene Black said...

I love it. I think they chose good colors -and then you made it work!
I do love signature quilts.

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...