It’s done! What a process this was! So many years in the making from start to finish and I can say WAHOO! Done and bound! They last time I posted about this was the end of January in 2019 when I was trying to get the pieces organized and cut to see if I had enough and now - here it is!
These are all 2” cut squares, 6” finished squares and 6” finished half square triangles (HST). Yes, the whole quilt.
Three units. Simple idea, but, a bit of a beast LOL! I do like it though now that it is done! I quilted the star points in a different thread to match the Kona solid (Paprika I think) in straight lines to give them a bit of definition.
The rest of the quilt I used Glide 40wt Sand in sort of a Paisley, Floral Swirl. I did pay attention to the tan coloured points and quilted in the ditch and echo inside for some emphasis.
Sand is a go to colour for me since it blends and shines against so many fabrics!
On the back I used a brown flannel wide-back for extra warmth and softness. I do love the wide-backs! plus, look at how the threads just pop!!
The inspiration for this quilt was the Swoon quilts that were all over social media a few years ago. I looked at them and thought - that’s the Bethlehem Star that’s been around forever! So instead of using a jelly roll and cutting 2.5” squares I reworked the math and used my 2” squares and made 4 blocks! I didn’t need a pattern - I just drew it out on some binder paper - old school! If you want to check out the original sketch you can see it here. And then I made it into a Leaders and Enders project.
Needless to say - this project was about 5 years or so in the making and I couldn’t be more thrilled that it is done!! I have more leaders and Enders projects on the go and I am ALWAYS cutting up more 2” squares!