Saturday, October 14, 2006

Christmas Scrap Kaliedascope

Here is a picture of my Christams scrap Kaliedascope quilt. I have a real thing for Christmas fabrics. Maybe it is the intensity of the colours or maybe it is just that green and red are complimentary colours and I love complimentary colours. I also love all the gold on Christmas fabrics. Whatever it is I am a real sucker for them. The after Christmas sales at the quilt shops always get me when I see those Christmas fabrics at half price :)

Anyways, needless to say I have a mighty stash of Christmas fabrics. I was able to make my Christmas scrap quilt from my small scraps and this one from some larger pieces and random fat quarters from my stash. This is an Eleanor Burns pattern by Quilt in a Day. I used her Kaleidascope ruler and pattern. I absolutely LOVE her rulers. I have the Triangle Square up ruler, triangle in a square ruler, and her flying geese rulers and I really think that her methods and rulers can't be beat for accuracy and speed of construction. i know that I have commented on that before but I just love her stuff.
Here is a close-up of the piecing and the quilting. I quilted it using Sulky opalesant sliver metallic thread in a random wavy pattern. The metallic thread really adds a nice effect to the quilt and the sliver metallic really changes in tone depending on what fabric it is crossing. The Holloshimmer metallic thread is my favorite to use generally since it tensions wonderfully but I just love this colour of the Sliver. I just have to quilt a little bit slower and make sure that the thread is not twisted before it gets to the tension disk. The effect is worth it I think :)

You can really see some of the wonderful Christmas batiks in this picture and all the gold on the fabrics. What do you think?

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Your quilt looks beautiful. I will have to look for some of those Eleanor Burns rulers. I have never done any quilts with pieces shaped like those. Looks like fun.

Jo Raines said...

Love your Christmas kaleidoscope quilt and the others on your site! Thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

I think it looks great with the metalic thread.

Welcome to the Quilting for Pleasure blog ring.

Nice to meet a fellow Canadian - although we are thousands of miles apart.

Shelina said...

Yes I am still here, reading your old posts. I am doing that in between other things. I love this kaleidoscope, especially the border! I have a kaleidoscope UFO that I need to get to working on...

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...