Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dumpster Diving

Ok - confession time.

Hands up everyone who has picked something out of the garbage or dumpster dived?!!

Come on be honest.

I'll start - me - I did.  Yesterday in fact.

After I finished my class yesterday I was walking around emptying all of the garbage bins in the classroom (as I always do after I finish as class).  And, in the last bin there were these lovely fabric scraps.  I stopped and thought - now who would throw those away!?  They are lovely!

So, yes, I scooped them up and put them in my bag and brought them home.  They were clean and undamaged so why not!?


 

I brought them home and layered them onto my 1.5" finished half square triangle (HST) die (Studio 50771, Go! 55319) and in no time I had all these lovely HSTs!!!  Aren't they yummy!?

These will work so well with my 2" leaders and enders squares.  I just couldn't resist.

Maybe I am just frugal; but, I always think that that scrap of fabric cost just as much off the bolt or in the garbage and the more fabric I can save from the landfill the better!

So, let's hear the truth - would you have saved these or tossed them?

12 comments:

Colleen G said...

I think I would have been tempted if I saw those scraps, firstly, the colours look yummy and secondly, mama taught me to waste not, want not. You can tell right away as the scrap baskets have shelves all their own in my sewing room. Which is also why I don't want the task of clearing out my mother's sewing and crafts boxes because I really don't need anything else at my house. lol

Chatterbox Quilts said...

Good find, Karina! I thought you were talking about real dumpster diving and I was starting to get worried about you :) I save all my little scraps, throw them in a bin and then rummage through them, especially when I'm looking for appliqué fabrics. I should probably cut them up into manageable pieces, but ... I'm just too lazy :) Looking forward to seeing what you create with these scraps.

Gene Black said...

I am sure you have known me long enough to know my answer. I would have saved them for sure.
Now if there was an accessible dumpster behind a fabric store....yeah, I just might have to check it out.

sew.darn.quilt said...

I'd save those without a second thought, they're lovely little gems and yes fabric is waaay to expensive to just toss in the garbage!

marilyn said...

I've done the same thing. But, then I have more scraps than I could ever work through in my lifetime. I used to love playing with my mom's scrap box (she only had one!) that she kept under her treddle sewing machine. Now that she is 78, she just throws the scraps away :( I wish I lived closer so I could get them from her. She knows she will never use them all up and would rather use big pieces.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I would have took them for sure. I have actually been dumpster diving many times too. When the girls were little we would go to. We use to get brand new clothes for a dive in the dumpster, patterns from behind a fabric store ( no envelope) little toys. Gotta be picky though which cans you dive in, make sure they are clean and Food Free ones for sure. I also stop on the side of the road and pick up things, others are throwing away. I love to recycle.

Kathy S. said...

Those are definitely yummy! Thumbs up for dumpster diving!!!

SewCalGal said...

Excuse me, Dumpster Diving. Isn't that something every AccuQuilt owner "gladly" does? Amazing how scraps would previously get tossed are so easy to turn into usable pieces with an AccuQuilt and die.

Great finds in your "investment research" (aka dumpster diving).

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Save them deffinitely! I have found all my trellis for growing my peas and beans from the hard rubbish collections and lots of other things too

Teri said...

Oh, yeah. I am know as the scrap lady. I started putting a basket on my sewing table at retreats and everyone just deposits their "trash" into it.

Nicole said...

Absolutely, I would have saved them. There is something satisfying about giving scraps a second life in a quilt!

Lovie said...

Yep! I would fish them out and give them a good home. For your next class, take a small basket or decorated box, and ask that anyone not wishing to keep their scraps please place in basket/box.

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...