Friday, September 09, 2011

Working on a Roly Poly Owl Quilt and Mr Iggy

Have you seen the great Roly Poly Owl Tutorial over at the Tulip Patch Blog?  Well if you haven't seen her blog yet you should run over now and check it out!  She has some great tutorials and lots of inspiring projects.  When she did a cute little owl quilt using the 3.5" Accuquilt Go! Drunkard's Path die I knew I just had to pull out my large DP die and get Go!ing on this project!

Here is what I accomplished today!  Aren't they cute?  The four owls together measure 14" square so it is the perfect size for the center of a baby quilt.  I just ordered the smaller DP die because I was thinking about doing 4 smaller owl for the corners but now I think it might be too busy - hmmm - thoughts?  We'll see what happens - maybe I will find just the perfect owl print for the boarders and use that instead.
 

I am in love with this die!  It cuts really well and makes beautiful curved blocks.  The only thing I will say about this block is that you MUST pay attention to the grain when you are running the die through the cutter.  My first cuts I didn't do this and I didn't get accurate cuts.  The next time through I paid attention to the grain and they were PERFECT!!  Joy!!  Yes, I guess I am gushing. 

Oh well, I need to set this aside until I decide what I want to do with the boarders.

 

I have also been working on Mr Iggy and I am almost completely finished with the hooking!  I just have the ground under his feet, and the eye on the crow, to complete and then he is ready to hang for Halloween.  What do you think of the background?  Isn't it a cool wool?  I just love the spot died wools and will have to do some of my own soon. I am sooo enjoying hooking again now that I have found my hook again! It's amazing the progress you can make in just over a week when you're enjoying yourself!  Maybe I will get onto that last bit now.

10 comments:

paulette said...

SEW CUTE!! Another die to add to the Wish List...which is getting too darn long!! haha Thanks for sharing!
P

beaquilter said...

soo cute, I LOVE owls, look at my blog beaquilter.blogspot.com
I don't have the drunkards path die but a plastic template, so might try this one day.....if you have a large outer border, I think 4 little owls in the corners would be CUTE, if you want to go fancy, maybe applique a long branch with leaves on the border leading from each owl to the other?? or just plain would be cute too...

Mary said...

So cute! Wish I had the ginormous size! Thanks so much for the linky and the nice words. I love that hookwork,too.

Anna said...

those owls are cute!!!

susan said...

love it. you are so talented. the owls shape gives me lots of ideas for other uses too.

Tracey @ The Peony Teacup said...

I just love those owls.. I must have looked at that tutorial a million times, and it was one of the deciding reasons why I ended up ordering the drunkard's path die.. Yay Tulip Patch!

Sunshine said...

I love the owls, and Mr Iggy too!
I bet you have a bit more time now that kiddies are back in school!

Riel Nason said...

The owls are so cute! What a great block. love your Halloween hooking too. I am crazy about Halloween and make several Halloween quilts each year. I'm not sure now how I found your blog (you know, click a link, then another, then another ...) but I'm glad I did. Cheers from New Brunswick.

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Drunkard's Path!? That is such a coool idea. Perfect little owls! that is very cooL!!
~Monika
sewing in Saskatoon

Unknown said...

it is not die it is diy do it yourself

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...