Sunday, March 25, 2012

Scrap Busting with Log Cabins!

I made a bit of a mess today and I liked it!


I pulled out my bin of 1.5" scrap strips and decided to do some sewing since I felt like sewing something but I didn't really know what to work on.

 
You can see how I arrange my strips.  I use those plastic shoe storage containers to arrange my scraps.  In this bin I separate them by light and dark and I put my little 1.5" red squares into a different container.

People ask me if I deal with my scraps right away or save them up.  I used to leave them and then deal with them at one time.  Now, however, I deal with them right away!  If I have potential strips I pull out my Go! cutter and 1.5" strip cutter and cut them down to size, put them into their bin, and put the bin away.

 

Here's the bin all nice and neat and easy to put away and easy to get out and work with.  If I take a few minutes at the time to deal with the bits it saves me a huge amount of time later.  I learned this lesson pretty quickly after I got my Go! and I spent a lot of time processing my scraps with my 2.5" strip cutter and my 2" square die.  Remember this mess a year ago? Nope - not doing that again!

 

The other thing I do is cut scraps directly into 2" squares for my leaders and enders which I love doing projects with!  Again, these get cut immediately after I am done with the fabric.  I learned that lesson too.  I have my Christmas scraps separated out from my regular ones and I do projects out of these periodically too.  Not sure what leaders and enders are?  You can check out my videos:



 Ok, so what am I going to do with the log cabin blocks???  I'm not sure yet :-D  I think that's why I like them so much.  You can do so many fun things with them. 

 
Like this!

 
Or like this!

I'm putting the blocks into the bin and will tackle them another day.  I'm log cabined out for now.

5 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Beautiful blocks... what a great way to use scraps! I've yet to make a log cabin block quilt but I know it's in my future...

:)

Anonymous said...

Looks like great fun! I have not made a log cabin in ages. I am in the mood to make a mini, so it may be a mini log cabin.

beaquilter said...

these look great! how about starting with a dark center and making a AROUND the world setting?? otherwise I don't know which one I'd pick

Rosa said...

Awesome blocks.Happy sewing!

Gene Black said...

I need to develop the discipline to do that "immediately after I am done with the fabric" cutting, sorting and storing. Maybe one day I will get there.

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...