Tuesday, January 23, 2007

UFO finish #4!!

I am on a roll lately with these finishes :) Well, I guess if 4 finishes in one month can be called a roll:) Thank you all for all you kind words and encouragement! It has really been a huge factor in keeping me going on these UFO's. Thanks again!
Here is picture of my UFO finish #4! This is a fall pattern from The Quilter Magazine from November of 2004. I substituted embroidery for the pumpkin applique that they had to try something a bit different. I wasn't very pleased with the way that ithad turned out (I was very new at embroidery and I had stabilized incorrectly) so I put it away for a few years. I took the project back out this weekend basted it and quilted it. I am proud to say that it now has a hanging sleeve, a label and the binding is finished :)


Here is a closeup of the machine quilting. I saw a neat technique for meandering leaves on Diane Gaudynski's website so I thought that I would try that in the corners. Then I wanted to try to create the illusion of depth in the center so I quilted spirals to make the flowers fade to the back.

I also really like the way that leaves blurr the edges of the of the piecing a bit so it looks a bit more harmonious.

I have been using these UFO's as a chance to try some different quilting and finishing techniques and it certainly is turning this project into something very fun for me. Taking advantage of the creative opportunity I suppose. Since I didn't like the project enough to finish it right away anyways if I do and experiment and it doesn't work out it's no big deal anyways:)

Again thank you for your comments :) I really love reading them:)

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

your quilt is just lovely. I like the quilting you have done it.

I also have a number of UFOs and this year i am hoping to complete quite a number of them.

Pam said...

It really turned out great. The embroidered flowers look wonderful in the picture. Probably only you can see the problems with them :)

I love the spirals you quilted - looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is gorgeous. You have done a lovely job on the quilting. That's one of my goals this year - improve on my quilting.

2022 Christmas T-Shirt Quilt Gift

As promised - here is the T-Shirt Quilt Christmas Gift from 2022! I did share this on my Facebook page but not on my blog, (whoops sorry!) s...